[Kde-pim] Re: Considerations for akonadi-nepomukfeeder update/rewrite

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu May 19 11:37:04 BST 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 12:01:32 +0200, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Christian Mollekopf wrote:
>
>> Since we will need to port the nepomukfeeders to the new DMS, and I rely
>> on the feeders in MindMirror,
>> I'd like to discuss what we have to keep in mind during the rewrite.
>
> I know nothing about Nepomuk, so with all of your emails about it over
> the
> last few weeks I don't really know what to say about it, but at the same
> time I don't want to feel like you're being ignored :).

Thanks =)
I know it's pretty much only volker from the pimsters working with nepomuk
(AFAIK).

> Are the threads about 'Broken nepomukfeeders' and 'Nepomukfeeders
> duplicate
> all data' still relevant? Is the proposed rewrite designed to solve the
> issues raised there?

I just figured out what exactly happens together with sebastian.
It's not nice what the feeders do atm. but it should work as long as there
are no
other apps trying to access the same resources using the Resource api (If
somebody does,
and isn't lucky, data will be duplicated on every change of the item)
I'm thinking about a fix for the data duplication issue, just in case.

So we'll just leave it at that for the first release I think, and make the
rewrite afterwards.

Unfortunately I'm not aware, where in kdepim and how nepomuk is exactly
used,
so it's a bit difficult to guess the consequences.

> What exactly do you propose to rewrite? Just the nepomuk feeders in
> kdepim-
> runtime/agents?

yes, we'll have to port them to the new nepomuk datamanagement service,
which will be available from 4.7.
Only then we can actually start to use the generated resources actively,
e.g. from MindMirror.

Of course, the copy with the emailfeeder in kdepim will need the same
procedure.