[Kde-pim] [Fwd: Re: [SyncEvolution] Akonadi status update]

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Mon May 2 12:11:43 BST 2011

Hello!

You might be interested in some sync-related news: SyncEvolution master
contains the Akonadi backend. Right now I am trying to figure out how to
put that into the upcoming release.

If I compiled a SyncEvolution binary on Ubuntu Lucid (libakonadi-dev
1.3.1-0ubuntu3 = /usr/lib/libakonadiprivate.so.1.3.1, akonadi-server
1.3.1-0ubuntu3), will that binary work with more recent Akonadi?

Doesn't seem likely, libakonadi-next4 (available as "universe" package
in Ubuntu Lucid) shows an soname
change: /usr/lib/libakonadi_next.so.4.4.0

In Ubuntu Maverick I see a libakonadiprivate.so.1, but then Natty
changes to libakonadiprotocolinternals.so.1.

So it seems like trying to support multiple Linux distros with one
binary is futile, at least for the time being. Right?

If I had to pick one, which one would you recommend? In other words,
where are normal users most likely to benefit from them precompiled
binaries?

That relates to the question how Akonadi is really used by KDE PIM in
which versions. My impression is that Akonadi has been able to
read/write KDE PIM data for a while (since when?), even if KDE PIM
itself doesn't use it yet. Correct?

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de