[Kde-pim] Re: Kdepim coding style: indentation

Torgny Nyblom kde at nyblom.org
Wed Mar 2 07:05:35 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011 15.39.02 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Tue, March 1, 2011 2:40 pm, John Layt wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 March 2011 13:46:44 David Jarvie wrote:
> >> I'd like to propose that the kdepim coding standard
> >> http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development/CodingStyle/Korganizer
> >> should
> >> be amended to allow indentation with either 2 or 4 spaces. To avoid
> >> confusion when reading code, the two indentations should not, of
> >> course,
> >> be mixed together. The standard should stipulate that the same
> >> indentation
> >> should be used throughout each source file. Alternatives might be that
> >> each subdirectory, or each function, can have its own indentation.
> >
> > I'd like the policy to be "For all new files use the kdelibs/Qt coding
> > standard" (i.e. 4 spaces), with existing files remaining with the
> > current
> > style unless the maintainer chooses to re-indent (all all that implies
> > for merge and blame).  This will ensure we move towards consistency
> > with kdelibs/kdebase over time.
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdelibs_Coding_Style
[...]
> Some libraries are groupings of several libraries, e.g.
> kdepim-runtime/kresources. If we decide that a single indentation should
> apply across a whole application/library, these libraries IMO should allow
> each sub-library to use its own indentation.

In a community such as pim where we play in each others backyards all the
time, the concept of having different styles in different apps/libraries is
probably not going to work.

I think that we should agree on one standard and then make sure that all new
code/files use the new standard.

As for the kdelibs standard I agree with it except on one point, the spaces
clause, I dislike the space after key word but not inside parenthesis.

/Regards
Torgny