[Kde-pim] Re: KMail - do distribution lists work ??

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Wed Mar 9 17:09:22 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 03:13:04 AM Peter wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2011 02:09:41 you wrote:

Groups email

> > > More testing, and when I add a new group using Kontact, I can
see all the
> > > newly added contacts with email addresses for 5 seconds, then
they
> > > disappear.
> > >
> > > Any debug logs or similar I can look at ?
> > >
> > > See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdepim/+bug/580242
> > >
> > > They say it is a KDE bug, not Ubunbtu.
> >
> > If it is, why would it work on my Fedora laptop?
>
> I don't know, As Russ said, it won't work with openSUSE 11.3 and
11.4, and
> KMail 1.13.6.
>
> > As I suggested earlier, maybe it is a version problem - I have
> >
> > Kontact Version 4.4.10
> > KMail Version 1.13.6
> > KAddressBook Version 4.4.10 -  all 32-bit
>
> It appears to be a Kontact problem. I have Kontact 4.4.8
>
> I'm no expert though, but it seems KMail can only 'get' what's in
the Kontact/
> KAddressBook data, and as there is nothing in the dist. lists I have
tested,
> KMail cannot 'add' anything. Exactly the same thing happens for me,
as for
> Russ, the name 'test' was put in the "TO" and my local domain name
added. Of
> course it bounced.
>
> So, my miniscual testing has shown that in Kontact, it does add
contacts to a
> dist. list, they show in the very right had window, but disappear
after
> approx. 5 seconds. So, Kontact is unable to store the data
permanently. Along
> comes KMail, it attempts to get the dist. list, but it is empty.
>
> Yes, could be a version problem.
>
> > Doesn't Kubuntu offer KMail 1.13.6?  If it does, try it.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu, not the latest on the 64 bit machine though. I
could check
> and see what package is included in later version of Ubuntu though.
But, I see
> it as a Kontact problem, not a KMail one. KMail can only 'get' what
is stored,
> and there were previous issues with the cache from Kontact giving
some
> 'delay'; some old posts in KDE forums.
>
> Peter

I have to agree with Peter except my contacts in the distribution list
do not disappear. If I go into Kmail (1.13.6) select new message,
select distribution lists and the hold my mouse over one of the seven
lists (groups) shown, the list of names (23 for the one listed below
NWLERC) and email addresses appear for that group. If I add it to the
email, it shows the group name correctly. If I send it, and then go to
sent mail and display the message (say send again), The domain name
has been added. I also get a bounce message from my ISP, cannot find
the domain (example NWLERC comes back as NWLERC -linux-98qc.)

So what is adding the domain name and why doesn't the list of people
in the group expand).

I just noticed if I click tools-->addressbook in kmail, nothing
happens.

Also openSUSE is not shipping all 4.6 add in, notice Kontact and
Kaddressbook are 4.4. Could be as Anne mentioned a version problem.

openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34.7-0.7-default)
Kontact Version 4.4.10
KDE 4.6.0 release 386
Kmail 1.13.6