[Kde-pim] Re: Data driven mail migration

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 08:09:23 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 21:00:57 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 March 2011 16:45:00 Guy Maurel wrote:

> > > Could it be possible to make a definition list of
> > > - what ...
> > > - where ...
> > > - which
> > > files and directories are necessary and only those
> > > to make such a migration test.
> > > What is usefull to write down at migration time/after migration?
> > > - number of (which) processes
> > > - which new files and directories
> > >
> > > With such a set of rules, some/many helpers could point to problems
> > > and / or show the problems are solved, in a common way.
> > >
> > > have a nice day
> >
> > I was thinking exactly the same today.  Ideally I'd like to see it on
> > UserBase so that the forums can easily point people to it.  If it
> > helps, I could take a text document, or other format, and do the
> > wiki markup.
>
> I don't think it makes much sense to document a migration test (!) on
> UserBase. If we want to document it then, IMO, Community Wiki is more
> appropriate. Or a blog entry. In fact, many moons ago, Kevin did exactly
> this:
>   http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4242

Things change very quickly around here ;-)  What I'd like to see on UserBase
is

An indication of preparation recommended - anything left from older versions,
for instance, that might cause migration to stall

Some indication of possible problems and how to recover from them

Advice about the use of IMAP and dIMAP - I for one am utterly confused by the
snippets I've picked up, and dread getting this wrong.

We need authorative advice - there's too much risk in relying on my
understanding of bits I've read to advise users.

Anne