[Kde-pim] Re: Line length

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Sun Jun 12 23:34:08 BST 2011

Hi,

On Thursday, June 02, 2011 07:55:08 AM Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was on a fix tests mood last night and I came across a difference of
> oppionon in the tests vs the implementation.
>
> The tests seemed to think that the trailing newline on a line of text
> should not be counted when determining when to break a line, but the
> implementation counts that.
>
> What should we use?

There is a multiple-page article about email line length at
http://mailformat.dan.info/body/linelength.html (I wished we supported soft
line breaks).

Anyway, I say don't count the linebreaks, the original limit of 78 characters
from the RFC was just for display reasons on console displays, which have 80
columns. Therefore it makes no sense to take invisible characters into account
when counting the line length.

Regards,
Thomas