[Kde-pim] Re: KMime::Content::fromUnicodeString() considered harmful

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Thu Jun 23 09:41:55 BST 2011

Hi,

On Thursday, June 23, 2011 09:06:05 AM Gregory Schlomoff wrote:
> On a slightly unrelated note, I'd like to point out that KMime is a can of
> worms with 10+ year old code that nobody dares touching anymore, and there
> are several other discrepancies / bugs / things that need fixing there.
>
> I have reported two problems already, but fixing them would require
> breaking BC, and nobody knows for sure if the fixes wouldn't break other
> stuff.
>
> I'm just saying this so that next time there's a binary incompatible
> release of kdepimlibs, this library really needs a lot of love and
> attention to clean up those things.
>
> And auto tests.

Hey, KMime is way better than mimelib, which we used before, I actually
understand the code and dare changing it. It does have some areas in which
improvements are needed, right.
I you find something that needs a BIC change, add a commend starting with
"KDE5: " and having an explanation of the problem somewhere as a reminder to
change it. I've done that in several cases now.
If you have time when KDE5 is started, it would be great if you can help with
the KMime cleanup effort. I've a couple of things I'd like to improve, and I
think Volker mentioned automatic assembling/parsing, which is a frequent
source of errors right now.

I think the auto tests in KMime are actually quite good. Add some if you think
anything is missing.

Regards,
Thomas