[Kde-pim] Re: Data driven mail migration

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 28 14:11:51 GMT 2011

On Monday, 2011-02-28, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2011 18:25:40 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > just pushed the data driven mail migration to master I have been working
> > on during this weekend.
> >
> > Tested viability by cancelling all wallet requests, migration still
> > completes.
> >
> > Haven't tested offline case or wrong user auth info yet but that
> > shouldn't make much difference.
> >
> > There is still the quite time consuming message import in case for making
> > the old cache available as maildir, need to change that to just creating
> > a maildir resource and forget about recovering flags for this backup
> > like facility.
>
> excellent work! :)
>
> So, we should be good to go for RC1, right? All the blockers we have
> identified in the migration have been addressed by now I think.

I'd like to slightly change the way the migrator does the fallback "local
import", i.e. when a user decides to keep the old KMail's DIMAP cache around.

Currently this is done through one maildir resource per DIMAP account, mostly
because the original idea was that the migrator could run more than once.

This has the draw back up adding all items (basic items, no payload) to
Akonadi in order to preserve the data from the KMail index files (maildir
resource can't handle them).

Since we now use the migrator as a "run at most once" thing, I can change that
to use on mixedmaildir resource for the whole DIMAP cache, just renaming the
account top level folders accordingly and no need for item processing.

Should be very fast.

I am even considering disabling dimap message import in code and just to this
adapter resource for the old cache.
+ no additional user interaction step needed
+ same behavior for all users (fewer possibilties of bugs depending on
settings/user choices)
- all users have to redownload
- loss of only locally available tags/flags

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring