[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 13 00:48:22 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, 2011-12-13, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2011, 00:36:53 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > > I do not agree that removing and adding resources is a corner case.
> >
> > Neither do I.
> > Removing collections should not make their ids available again.
>
> If you remove the database how should akonadi know that kmail2 still hast
> "unique" IDs in usage that stem from the deleted database.

You lost me there. Why would I remove the database when I remove a resource?

> > > Removing akonadis database either. In fact, it was advertised more than
> > > once that akonadi's db is just a cache and removing it does not lose
> > > any data. Well, now it does.
> >
> > From what I read so far it did not.
>
> Because there is no real unique id, expiration is applied to folders it was
> not set for and hence data is lost. This must not happen.

A specific client deleted data due to misinterpreting rules.
A bug in a client or user error can of course always result in data being
deleted, removing the database and rebuilding the cache will not.

> Please do not nitpick that one has to lose the db and restart kmail! Losing
> your db, adding resources back, starting kmail and you will lose data if
> you had expiration set to some folders.

Which is a very specific scenario, the documentation is obviously generic and
assumes that it is obvious that it can only be applied in general, not for all
possible usage of all possible versions of all possible clients.

> > As I wrote before factors like limited resources make it necessary to
> > iteratively migrate certain aspects of a setup. Having folder specific
> > metadata in a specific client's config file instead of attached to the
> > folder is a result of that.
>
> The problem is that this is not only about settings.

Who said anything about settings?

> As soon as any client
> relies on simple (not even random) numbers being unique it will cause
> problems. Simply because akoandi's database can be deleted and thus the IDs
> lose their uniqueness.

Yes? Contradicting what of the above exactly?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring