[Kde-pim] Akonadi ids (was: Re: Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders)

Shaheed srhaque at theiet.org
Tue Dec 13 10:21:05 GMT 2011

In the above referenced thread, Georg seemed to be saying something about
Akonadi ids which I'd like to get some clarity on. (I'll happily update the
docs once I know what the answers are, since I think this is affecting some
resource code I am working on).

This is what I infer so far:

	1. When I create an Akonadi::Item, the id I provide in the constructor can
	be whatever I choose, but it clearly needs to be unique amongst the set
	of ids I am using.

	2. This set of ids is associated with the current resource.

	3. If I enable hierarchical ids, then the the id only needs to be unique
	within the parent collection's set.

Is that correct? Assuming so, I have some questions:

	a. When I set the resource for an Item, I presume I should set it to the
	identifier()  of the resource, not the name(), right?

	b. since the resource for an Item should be immutable, would it not be
	better passed in via the Item constructor?

	c. When I create a new Item locally, when offline, and which I will later
	send to the backend, how should such ids be generated? I obviously cannot
	invent one from the above number space because when the item is eventually
	given to the backend, it will no doubt allocate one itself.

Thanks, Shaheed