[Kde-pim] KMail2 losing filter destinations

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Dec 12 17:56:18 GMT 2011

Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Monday 12 December 2011 11:01:43 laurent Montel wrote:
>> Le dimanche 11 décembre 2011 19:36:29 John Aldrich a écrit :
>> > KMail2 has decided to start losing my filter desitinations.
>
> <snip>
>
>> In 4.8 I improved it.
>> We can import/export old filter format.
>> So it's fixed in 4.8
>
> I'm wondering what to do regarding supporting PIM 4.7 for openSUSE 12.1.
> The migration issues and the resource usage in a successful clean IMAP
> setup have
> chased many users away to Thunderbird.  Right now, I wish I had invested
> time in making 4.4 work with kdepimlibs 4.7.
>
> So I have been cherrypicking commits into our 4.7.2 packages for online
> update, but as of last week, 4.7 branch will be left alone.

Well, the problem is that as there won't be anymore 4.7.x releases, bugs
will/might not be backported. And I'd not cherry pick commits from 4.8 and
apply to 4.7.2. As you noted certain fixes are simply impossible to backport
to 4.7.x.

> I have 3 choices:
> * ship kdepim* 4.7.4 as an online update
> * cherrypick the most important fixes from 4.7 branch to our released
> version 4.7.2
> * wait for 4.8.0 in January and online update to that
>
> Some structural things like filtering and Nepomuk feeder usage will only
> be fixed in 4.8, but I have a low degree of confidence that we (pim dev
> hat on now) will not ship more regressions in a .0.
>
> But, testing the water, what would the rest of you do here?

As a constant user of master, I'd say 4.8.0 is in much better state then
4.7.4 (that I have on my laptop right now). You only realize this once you
switch back from 4.8 to 4.7.4.
 Yes, regressions could happen, but I'm confident they won't be too much or
serious.
 The question is if it is possible to compile only kdepimlibs and kdepim*
for 4.7.x and ship as an update. In theory it is, because kdelibs 4.7.x
should be the same as for 4.8, but i doubt anybody tested this for real.

Andras