[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 15 20:45:46 GMT 2011

On Thursday 15 December 2011, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> Just to throw another idea in the room.
>
> I agree the current situation is not ideal, but I'm also not sure if
> it is feasible to generate a globally unique id for every item (for
> performance reasons or simply because to much code already depends
> on the current id's).

We don't need GUIDs for every item. We only need them for folders.
Creating GUIDs for folders will hardly result in a performance problem
and changing the format of an id shouldn't require massive code changes
either. Of course, it might require an upgrade mechanism.

The usage of GUIDs is the only sensible solution for external