[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Dec 17 10:52:47 GMT 2011

Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2011 schrieb Sven Burmeister:
> > No, it is a catastrophic error scenario.
>
> You might not like to hear this but if akonadi suggests on wikis etc.
> that  killing its db will not lose any email, erasing the database
> will be seen as ok and used as soon as something is not working, i.e.
> to check whether it got corrupted. People do the same with nepomuk or
> amarok databases. IMHO it does not make sense to discuss how wrong
> this is, but it does make sense to avoid any data loss even in that
> case. Even more so if it is as easy as creating one single unique id
> and making it available to clients.

I removed Amarok, Nepomuk and Akonadi databases for several times already.

I agree that this should not be necessary except for corruption due to
hardware issues or user error.

That said last removal of Amarok database was around Amarok 1 => 2 change.

I didnĀ“t need to remove Akonadi database recently at all. Last removal of
Nepomuk database was with KDE 4.6.5. Now with 4.7.2 even Nepomuk seems to
behave sanely.

My reasons for database removals have been error scenarios. From the
software side of things, not from the hardware side.

So as Akonadi matures I expect and hope that database removal will not be
advertised as a fix / work-around on the wiki page anymore except for the
case where it has been corrupted by hardware issues or user error.

Ideally Akonadi should sanity check the database and open a dialog offering
to recreate it from scratch should it be defect.

I any case I agree that removing the database and recreating resources
should never ever remove a single mail file or contact anywhere.