[Kde-pim] Putting Akonadi on the Server?

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 19 18:59:54 GMT 2011

Dear Thomas,

Please do not cross-post between lists.

There are only very few exceptions when that makes sense, and this is not one
of them. Kolab-devel@ has received this information before kde-pim at .

kde-pim@ has enough traffic as it is, and I am fairly certain that people on
kde-pim@ are capable of subscribing to kolab-devel@ as and when they are
interested in this subject.

On Monday 19 December 2011 19.30:38 Thomas Koch wrote:
> It would help, if you could describe the original problem.

Please read the referenced blog entry on Kolab 3.0 and the related mails on
the kolab-devel@ mailing list. The background is an increasingly unsustainable
component based on a deprecated version of the Horde Framework which requires
replacement in order to be able to implement all the rest of Kolab 3.0.

So this is in fact not adding components.

It is replacing an increasingly unsustainable component of extreme complexity
by a more sustainable component of somewhat lesser complexity but with more
option value.

According to the people who developed the Akonadi concept, this kind of use
case was kept in mind when they came up with it, and in fact Akonadi was
somewhat inspired by the Kolab server.

Naturally implementation had to start somewhere and limitations of Qt mandated
use of dbus at the time, as they still do. As explained in the wiki, this is
the one point that we might find ourselves having to work around.

Potentially this could take the form of improvements to dbus, improvements to
Qt to allow for AMQP, or any of a set of other options in which we could work
around operational limitations. That is if we find we need to make
improvements, which we currently don't know.

Either way, we'll pursue this experimental path with anyone who's interested
and intrigued by the possibilities.

If you're not interested, you don't have to participate.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve