[Kde-pim] Kmail1 to Kmail2 folder import

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Aug 13 17:26:53 BST 2011

On Friday, 2011-08-05, ianseeks wrote:
> On Friday 05 Aug 2011 09:59:15 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Friday, 2011-08-05, ianseeks wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I've got my current Kmail1 stype /home/???/Mail folders referenced as a
> > > "Kmail Maildir" in Kmail2. - How can i import them into kmail2 format
> > > so i can get rid of the "Kmail Maildir" configuration?  There is no
> > > import option for converting the folders directly unless you have
> > > previously exported them to a kmail archive file. As i now running
> > > kmail2 i can't export my folders.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean with import into KMail2, the mail should already
> > be accessible by it?
>
> What i mean is that i was using kmai1 and i had a maildir folder structure
> in ~/Mail but in Kmail2 it creates a new "Local Folders" top level and
> stores (i think) the emails in somewhere else.  it means i have 2 top
> level folders in Kmail2 i.e. "Local Folders" for new emails and "Kmail
> maildir" for the older kmail1 emails.  Its almost if the "Kmail Folders"
> become a PST (in outlook parlance) because all new icoming emails go to
> "Local Fodler" inbox and all my existing filters don't work. I was hoping
> to move all the kmail folders to the new "Local Folders" so it looked like
> it did before.

KMail Folders is just another variant for local mail storage, one with
compatibility for KMail1 mail directories.
If you don't want to keep your mail at its current location, you can copy or
move it to the new location and then remove the old one.

> > Do you mean converting to a pure maildir?
>
> I was using maildir in Kmail1.
> I don't think i understand the significance of the changes made in kmail2
> as nothing has worked in the auto-migration from kmail1 to kmail2. It
> seems to have got more complicated.

Ah, too bad that migration has not fully worked for you. Otherwise you would
only have KMail Folders.

Anyway, KMail2 allows to use several local storage locations but of course can
be configured to just use one.
In the latter case you should be able to copy the mails from the unwanted
locations to the new ones and then remove the unwanted ones.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring