[Kde-pim] Main problem in kmail2

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Fri Aug 5 18:17:40 BST 2011

Hi,
As a lot of kdepim will be in akademy (not me), I wrote this email to inform
main problem in kmail2 (and hope that during akonadi we will able to improve
it).

-> We must to create (or improve code from playground) filter agent, for the
moment filter is when we receive email in kmail and not before, so all akonadi
apps can't have filter. It's very important to make it for kde-4.8 I think.

-> mixedmaildir resource, we must to improve it, for the moment it takes a lot
of memory and in my test I change all to maildir directly otherwise kmail was
not usefull.

-> Search in kmail2 is not perfect yet I spoke with Sebastian Trueg for
improve messageanalyser to add all headers (we need to use new DMS)

-> copy emails from a mailbox to maildir doesn't copy all just header. When I
restart copy/paste it works.

-> We must to add code to save/restore data from database I think that there
is a code in git ( a specific branch).

-> David found a pb in kmailmigrator when forder settings was not good. We
must fix it it's urgent, because expire attribute is not apply to good folder
so perhaps we can change this config to false if we don't find bug.

-> We must to optimize akonadi/kmail it's slow for the moment.

For the moment I think that kmail2 starts to be stable, but we need to
continue to test use it and report bugs.

I hope that we will able to make it stable in 4.8.