[Kde-pim] kmail network-awareness patch

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 08:42:19 BST 2011

On Saturday 20 August 2011 19:01:34 Martin Bednár wrote:
> Le Samedi 20 d'août 2011 18:40:49 Guy Maurel a écrit :
> > Hello Martin!
> >
> > On Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:59:08 AM Martin Bednár wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I played around with some kmail code to make it a bit more
> > > networkstatus-aware (via solid) than it was. I'm not sure it's really
> > > needed functionality-wise, but my ultimate goal being a
> > > connected/disconnected icon in the status bar, I think these changes
> > > are useful.
> > >
> > > Also, what's your view on merging setAccountOnline() and
> > > setAccountOffline()
> >
> > It is fine to see other people working on the same problem some month
> > after. I which you should take a look to my proposals about the
> >
> >   bug 77862,  kio_imap process doesn't hang anymore
> >
> > (last mails on uly 2010)
>
> I will take a look at those patches...
>
> > Your solution is fine, but I mean it is not enought if you don't take care
> > of the kio_imap process, which still runs until the default time-out of
> > 600
> > seconds. As a change on the network is detected, we need to kill this
> > process.
>
> I believe kio_imap is dead : my patches apply to trunk (4.8), which contains
> an Akonadified Kmail. I have no idea how timeouts are handled in Akonadi,
> but I suppose that the Akonadi::AgentInstance::setIsOnline() function does
> just that
> : sets the agent offline/online, IOW disconnect/reconnect to remote host.
>
> Could anyone who sees into it confirm, please?

yep, that's exactly how the IMAP agent is implemented.

Also note that most Akonadi agents are already connected to Solid and thus
follow the network status automatically. This reduces the need for that
feature in KMail considerably, it's still useful for manual overwrite though,
if the Solid status is wrong (e.g. connected to a hotel Wifi that requires
login on some website). Of course making the status in KMail reflect the
actual status by also using Solid makes a lot of sense.

regards
Volker