[Kde-pim] Re: Opening kdepim master for feature commits, branching kdepim 4.6

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Apr 22 13:33:38 BST 2011

On Fri, April 22, 2011 11:22 am, Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> On Thursday 21 April 2011 17:32:27 Allen Winter wrote:
>>
>> What about the following:
>> - branch kdepim4/.6 and kdepim-runtime/4.6
>> - open kdepim/master and kdepim-runtime/master for new features,
>> strings,
>> etc - bug fixes are backported to the 4.6 branches
>>
>> i.e. the normal situation.
>>
>> If/when we make a KDEPIM4.6 release, I will use the 4.6 branches.  no
>> problem at all.
>>
>> I just need to coordinate with the translators if we want to do this.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>

> That sounds a bit late for branching considering that the soft-feature
> freeze
> will happen in 6 days and we still have no idea whether kdepim 4.6 will
> ever be released.

If kdepim 4.6 was never released, the 4.6 branch would just end up like
the 4.5 branch, ultimately a dead end. The main reason to branch is to
open up master for feature commits.

Meeting the soft feature freeze isn't affected by branches or the policy
on git commits. It's the *hard* feature freeze in 3 weeks which really
matters - there isn't much time left to commit new features which are
already in the pipeline and which can't be added to 4.6 and therefore
currently can't be committed to master.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.