[Kde-pim] Re: Opening kdepim master for feature commits, branching kdepim 4.6

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:54:19 BST 2011

Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:

> On Thursday 21 April 2011 17:32:27 Allen Winter wrote:
>>
>> What about the following:
>> - branch kdepim4/.6 and kdepim-runtime/4.6
>> - open kdepim/master and kdepim-runtime/master for new features, strings,
>> etc - bug fixes are backported to the 4.6 branches
>>
>> i.e. the normal situation.
>>
>> If/when we make a KDEPIM4.6 release, I will use the 4.6 branches.  no
>> problem at all.
>>
>> I just need to coordinate with the translators if we want to do this.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>

> That sounds a bit late for branching considering that the soft-feature
> freeze will happen in 6 days and we still have no idea whether kdepim 4.6
> will ever be released.

It should be. Most of the bugs on the blocker list really shouldn't be
called show stoppers.

> Before reopening kdepim, I believe we should answer Kevin's question about
> the commit strategy/policy in kdepim: develop in master & cherry-pick in
> branch (svn style) or develop new features in staging branches and merge
> them into master when new features become mature (kernel style)

At Osnabruck we decided to do whatever kdelibs decides (which so far is
nothing. People will do what they want to no matter what is decided), but I
think that's a good enough answer to the question from the kdepim pov and
the question shouldn't block anything.

I say create a 4.6 branch reclasify the blocking bugs and make a release. We
can call it a 'developer release' if you want, but if it's not a .0 some
people are not going to work on it as we saw on the last thread. We just
have to make a .0 release and then the future can begin.

All the best,

Steve.