[Kde-pim] Branch startegy for KDE PIM in Git

Torgny Nyblom kde at nyblom.org
Tue Apr 26 14:13:21 BST 2011

Hi,

As a result of the resent thread about 4.6 I'm proposing we adapt the
following work pattern...

*master:
Only safe bug fixes should be pushed here (directly) also make sure that fixes
are applied to the appropriate "release" branches (4.4, soon 4.6 :)).

*"release" branches:
Mush like they have always been, branched off master when a release is near
and then open for fixes only.

* feature/unsafe fix branches:
Here all new features and unsafe bug fixes should be developed and when deemed
production ready the branch is merged into master and then the branch is
deleted. Small patches need not be pushed but can be keep local, however using
this approach one is always ready to switch to bug fixing mode should the need
arise without having to abandon or rush a push/commit as well as switching to
working on another bug/feature. Just remember _never_ rebase a pushed branch.

Using this pattern the master branch should always be ready for release.

As for backports/forwardports/merges to old release branches I don't have any
suggestion so please fill in.

The above would mean that master is always open for fixes and possibly closed
for feature merges when a release branching is near.

As for i18n they can continue to pull/push to master and the release branches.
Not sure if the possible merge of features can cause a problem here.

Comments? Shoot downs? Praises?

/Regards
Torgny

P.s. Not entirely sure that I've covered all possible situations when I
thought about this. D.s.