[Kde-pim] Re: Akonadi::Nepomukfeeder: why aren't we using NIE::DataObjects / DataSources?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 08:53:24 BST 2011

On Saturday 19 February 2011 12:45:53 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> Instead of the NepomukfeederAgents, shouldn't we actually use  an
> AkonadiObject which is a subclass of NIE:DataObject together with a
> NIE:DataSource for akonadi?
>
> I couldn't find much info on the topic, nor any code of such a DataSource /
> DataObject, but with the Nepomukfeeder we seem to have ignored the
> DataObject side of NIE completely.
> Also this works only one way (Akonadi -> Nepomk) while the other approach
> would work both ways if I understood correctly.
>
> I reckon with the akonadi DataObject/DataSource part implemented correctly,
> one could ignore akonadi completely in nepomuk applications, since Nepomuk
> would encapsulate it, while akonadi i.e. still can sync the items over the
> internet in the background, right?
>
> I understand that it was probably easier to go the Nepomukfeeder way as a
> first implementation, but the proper thing to do would be IMHO the other
> way.

My understanding as well, and definitely where we want to get at some point,
having a bidirectional connection between Akonadi items and Nepomuk resources,
Akonadi managing the retrieval, caching and offline change replay from various
(remote) sources and Nepomuk providing the aggregated high-level semantic view
on this data.

There's a GSoC proposal addressing this, so there's a chance of making some
progress here finally :)

regards
Volker