[Kde-pim] Re: kdepim-4.6 ?

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Thu Apr 7 19:37:16 BST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 7. April 2011 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> > There is perhaps some problems on kmail but kdepim is not just kmail
> > there is kadressbook, kalarm, ktimetracker which were improved in 4.5-4.6
> > but for the moment we can just use version from 4.4 and it's not good for
> > developers I think.
> > How we can motive new kdepim dev to fix some bugs in kdepim-trunk if they
> > are not sure that we will release it a day ?
>
> Exactly, I'm in the same boat there. I lost most of my interest in the PIM
> stack after the latest Akonadi meeting I attended, we were very close to
> go  ahead with a release and never did, again based on fear. Of course, at
> the time the migration still had strong issues, and I admit that could
> indeed be considered a showstopper. But now... Most people I know who
> started to migrate are actually able to use the thing, and it didn't burn
> their house, didn't kill their pets and most importantly didn't loose
> data.
>
> I even know people using master daily... Yes, kmail isn't perfect, its 4.4
> version isn't exactly a walk in the park either. korganizer seems in
> better  shape than its 4.4 and so on...

I migrated my office machine by accident to a beta of KDEPIM 4.6, and it was
frustrating. First of all, the migration hang. I had to work around the issues
manually. Next thing is performance.
Really, Kdepim isn't just KMail, but given you have about 100.000 mails in
your account (some folders used as archive with important project milestone
messages collected over years), you are significantly slower in your workflow.

The organizer may be as good as one can imagine, but that doesn't help if you
loose time and confidence in the mail program. More than once I considered
going back to the previous version where KMail is much faster, or to migrate
to Thunderbird as my messages are on IMAP accounts anyway.

Other issues are loosing filters in the new KMail from time to time (no pattern
found yet) and problems with marking messages as read in filter actions.
Moreover the migration doesn't consider the default ressources. I've found the
setting for the default calendar by accident only.

Apart from that I have to admit that I can work with the current KDEPIM 4.6
RPMs provided for OpenSUSE. In Kontact/KMail it takes me some additional effort
here and there to accomplish a task (compared to the kdepim 4.4 version) and
often valuable seconds to wait. But I haven't found a show stopper yet.
OTOH I have a completely different use case at home, using almost only KMail
with POP3. There I'm not keen on a migration before things have settled quite
a while (especially after reading about potential problems with POP3 support).

What I'm not sure about is how does the migration deal with the data from the
old version? Are they deleted, or do I need to clean up some directories
afterwards?
Other questions are about the new version. I've read about the config options
for the akonadi db. But my database is about 1.2 GB. Is there a way to check
if it's size is really needed? Is there a way to shrink it (if possible)?
Don't mention the "HDDs are cheap" argument here. It's not only the place on
the disk, it's also the throughput what counts.

I feel a bit lost with regards to what's going on behind the scenes. Based on
my experiences I can imagine a lot of frustrated users (most of them those
using a Linux desktop without deeper knowledge of the underlying system).

You can see me undecided. And that may be a mirror of the fear to release what
there is now. Who knows if you have a second chance if your first try gets a
very bad press for whatever reason?

So let me resume: there doesn't seem to be a real show stopper bug. Still
there are a lot of things to improve. You should be prepared for a lot of
complaints from those who are put back performance-wise after having migrated
to the new version.

Best regards,
Andreas