[Kde-pim] Re: Free-busy integration in KDEPIM - Osnabrück outcome

"Grégory Oestreicher" greg at kamago.net
Mon Apr 4 12:22:44 BST 2011

Hi Brad,

> I had a look at the repos, and it built OK for me. However it appears there is
> some kind of binary incompatible change (it broke login on my Ubuntu 11.04
> alpha something box, and on an earlier Ubuntu 10.mumble box)

Yeah, this is BIC with kdepimlibs 4.6 as it adds some new interfaces. This will be
incorporated into master once kdepim 4.6 is out and will find its way into kde sc 4.7.
At least that's the plan. For now you have to rebuild everything from scratch I'm
afraid.

> I'm also not sure exactly what I'm meant to see. Is the Free/Busy bit you're
> talking about in KOrganizer or some other tool I don't know about?

There is nothing to see (except if you are using the DAV resource from the mentioned
clone repo), the free-busy integration being just an API. If your resource inherits
FreeBusyProviderBase then you'll have to re-implement some methods that will be called
over D-Bus asking: 1) if the resource can manage f-b information for a contact; 2) the
f-b info for a specified period of time. All the D-Bus stuff is transparent from the
resource point-of-view.

> I haven't really looked at the API bit yet - I hoped it would be easier to see
> once I had it working. Any chance you can provide some screenshots or general
> directions on the best way to test things?

If you are using the DAV resource and you have a CalDav compliant server at hand you
can get the conflicts when scheduling a meeting from KOrg, and the Gantt view will
show the participants availabilities. All tests were performed with Davical, but
eGroupware is next in my list.

Cheers,
Grégory