[Kde-pim] Re: kdepim-4.6 ?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 16:56:52 BST 2011

On Thursday 07 April 2011 21:03:31 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday 07 April 2011 19:02:48 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> > And I still stand that in parallel another beta should be out since
> > yesterday. But apparently we all agree on this point, it's a matter of
> > getting the process started. :-)
>
> +1 on a new beta
>
> At least then people see there is still development going on and people
> like me, who want to at least try the latest version, can actually
> contribute with usefull information.

After all that I've read, here and elsewhere, I still don't have the
confidence to "go for it", and that's a great pity.  It's also embarrassing
when I try to do user support and I'm not using 4.6.  There is a real need for
some public relations work.  Here's what I'd like to see:

We need a UserBase page (I'll help in any way I can) that sets out at least -

a) What happens to the old-style date
b) Where the akonadi-controlled data will be kept

then

c) Known issues - stressing that you may not meet any of them - together with
strategies for coping with them.

d) The comfort factor - telling what needs to be done if, in the worst case, a
user needs to get back to the 4.4 series.  I remember Kevin Krammer (I'm
almost sure it was) saying that this would be no problem.

This last 6 months I've seen a real decline in confidence that 4.6 is ever
going to be usable.  Let's take some steps to minimise the possibility of real
problems, then we can go for it :-)  A lot of people truly want it to succeed,
and are held back by the fear factor.

If anyone is willing to work with me, say on an etherpad, for a couple of
hours, please contact me off-list or on #kde-www.

Anne