[Kde-pim] Re: kdepim-4.6 ?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 08:07:34 BST 2011

On Sunday 10 April 2011 15:02:56 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 10. April 2011, 09:42:03 schrieb Volker Krause:
> > It looks like there are more problems like these, but as these example
> > should show, just saying "it's slow for big folders" doesn't help us fix
> > it, these problems occure due to specific conditions which are not
> > universal and need to be identified. That's the hard part, and everyone
> > can help with it.
>
> Did you try using PIM while nepomuk is indexing data via strigi? This seems
> to slow down kmail/akonadi quite a bit. And akonadi seems to block itself
> or kmail blocks itself while akonadi is performing some action, e.g.
> synchronising a folder blocks the display of another IMAP account's message
> list.

Yes, I have observed considerable slow-downs under high disk I/O load in both
Akonadi and Nepomuk (which KMail needs both), operations normally taking a few
milliseconds suddenly going up to several seconds. Indexing is the most
visible scenario where this happens.

I'm not really sure what we can do about this, maybe there are some settings
for MySQL and Virtuoso to do less fsync's, which should reduce I/O load on the
cost of short-term data safety.

For Akonadi with Sqlite this is an entirely different story as explained in
one of the other mails already, due to the crude transaction serialization it
does not scale for concurrent access, that's why we don't recommend it for the
full desktop scenario.

regards
Volker