[Kde-pim] Re: 4.6 Release blockers?

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed Apr 6 10:32:41 BST 2011

On Monday 04 April 2011 16:16:46 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we have a list of release blockers for 4.6? A meta-bug?
>
> Can we make another milestone release?
I'd like to propose something for the blockers list, and it is the memory
footprint.

These are some stats from my computer right now:
uptime: 2hours 18minutes

Memory from System Activity:
	Kmail: 								281 MB
	Virtuosso: 							150 MB
	Mysql (akonadi)					111 MB
	akonadi_imap_resource		168 MB
	akonadi_nepomuk_feeder	100MB
	21 small akonadi process        94 MB

	Total:									902 Mb

Also, there are a couple of extra issues:
	-When indexing mails, nepomuk_feeder goes up to 1,2GB of ram (leak?) also
           dbus-daemon goes up to 800MB or os (leak on dbus?)
	-akonadi_imap_resource goes up to 1GB too
     -After a day of using KMail, the memory goes up to 600MB aprox.

My computer is 2 years old with 4Gb of ram, when I'm doing web developing I
have to turn off akonadi because if not, my computer freezes (I don't have
swap, so kwapd becomes crazy trying to move to disk shared libs and so on).
This means:

I can't:
	-use kdevelop and
	-use chromium + firefox and
     - Have PIM

I'm aware that I'm not the only one with these problems so if you need any
specialized feedback we can try to provide it, though KMail is too big to be
valgrined.

If you need anything, please just ask and I will try to provide.