[Kde-pim] How can we improve Akonadi documentation?

Gregory Schlomoff gregory.schlomoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:30:42 BST 2010

Hello Stephen,

I would also strongly encourage you to help write the docs you are missing
> by asking the questions and the rest of us giving the answers. Many of us
> are too deep into it that we don't see the high-level overview issues as
> you
> say.
>

> I think asking it would help if people like yourself would ask the
> highlevel
> questions here or on IRC and maintain a list of answers or a getting
> started
> page. In many cases we don't even know the questions.

Sure. As soon as I get myself started (ie: as soon as I'm able to create a
collection in Akonadi, which isn't the case, yet), I'll submit a piece of
"getting started" doc for reviewal to this mailing list.

> Also, please don't spend hours confused about something :). Ask here or on
> irc within an hour instead of being confused. There's a lot of difficult
> things in the API because it's all asynchronous, a bit abstract, there's
> several channels of communication like imap/dbus, heavily relies on
> platformy/funny things like mimetypes and desktop files etc, and it can be
> hard to know where standards end and extensions begin. Everyone hits a few
> brick walls at the start.

Yes. I found people on this mailing list and on IRC to be incredibly
supporting. I guess the main problem at the moment is that as we do all our
development on windows, we aren't sure yet if the issues we have come from
building / configuration problems on this platform, or just lack of
understanding of the Akonadi API. So it's not easy to ask, because we feel
like we are a corner case :)

For example, running the sample code from CollectionCreateJob, we get back a
"Cannot create top-level collection" error message. Is that normal
behaviour, or is our Akonadi setup incorrect?

Thanks,

Greg