[Kde-pim] How can we improve Akonadi documentation?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Sep 16 08:24:39 BST 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 13:42:22 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Wednesday, 2010-09-15, Gregory Schlomoff wrote:
> > Hello Stephen,
> >
> > I would also strongly encourage you to help write the docs you are
> > missing
> >
> > > by asking the questions and the rest of us giving the answers. Many of
> > > us are too deep into it that we don't see the high-level overview
> > > issues as you
> > > say.
> > >

> > > I think asking it would help if people like yourself would ask the
> > > highlevel
> > > questions here or on IRC and maintain a list of answers or a getting
> > > started
> > > page. In many cases we don't even know the questions.
> >
> > Sure. As soon as I get myself started (ie: as soon as I'm able to create
> > a collection in Akonadi, which isn't the case, yet), I'll submit a piece
> > of "getting started" doc for reviewal to this mailing list.
>
> Awesome!
>
> > > Also, please don't spend hours confused about something :). Ask here or
> > > on irc within an hour instead of being confused. There's a lot of
> > > difficult things in the API because it's all asynchronous, a bit
> > > abstract, there's several channels of communication like imap/dbus,
> > > heavily relies on platformy/funny things like mimetypes and desktop
> > > files etc, and it can be hard to know where standards end and
> > > extensions begin. Everyone hits a few brick walls at the start.
> >
> > Yes. I found people on this mailing list and on IRC to be incredibly
> > supporting. I guess the main problem at the moment is that as we do all
> > our development on windows, we aren't sure yet if the issues we have come
> > from building / configuration problems on this platform, or just lack of
> > understanding of the Akonadi API. So it's not easy to ask, because we
> > feel like we are a corner case :)
>
> I can understand that this is awkward but since none of us uses Windows as
> the main development plaform, any feedback from that side is extremely
> valuable.

The "none of us uses Windows" is actually a myth :) Our fearless Kontact for
Win CE team here at KDAB (Andy, Romain, Patrick) works nearly exclusively on
Windows for example, and I even have seen Windows deployment patches from
you, Kevin ;-) There also is a stand-alone Kontact (trunk, thus Akonadi
based) installer for Windows (might be a bit outdated by now though), created
by the guys from Intevation.

Akonadi is supposed to work just as fine on Windows as on any other supported
platform, it is by no means a corner case. It's true of course that
deployment of the entire stack is still a lot harder on Windows compared to
Linux, since parts of the infrastructure we rely on (D-Bus, SMI, etc) are
already there on Linux systems. Similar problem on OS X btw.

I'm sure we can improve platform integration quite a bit on Windows (or any
other non-Linux, actually) compared to what we have now, but that requires
your feedback. And please don't hesitate to ask questions just because you
are using Windows ;-)

regards
Volker