[Kde-pim] Kmail2: Akonadi memory requirements

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Sep 10 08:16:16 BST 2010

On Thursday 09 September 2010 09:56:09 Stephan Mueller wrote:
> Storage space of akonadi
> ========================
>
> I probably have 3000+ emails in my spool where some of them are sizeable
> 10+ MB. I was a bit irritated when I looked at the size of the mysql
> database files: more than 800 MB!
>
> I started to dig into the database by using the akonadiconsole tool. I saw
> that the ENTIRE mail bodies are stored there! I am really unsure why there
> is a need to really duplicate the email storage: once in the maildir
> folders and once in mysql.

It's not supposed to store content bigger than 4k in the database by default,
what version of the Akonadi server are you using? What settings do you have
in ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc, section [%General], keys SizeThreshold
and ExternalPayload?

You should have Akonadi server >= 1.4.0 with SizeThreshold=4096 and
ExternalPayload=true. This will not fix existing "damage" though, it will
only affect new or modified content.

With the settings fixed here, many of the following issues should become far
less problematic. After all the same setup works fine on an N900 phone, not
perfectly smooth yet, but still far better than in your horror story ;)

> Use of 2 databases
>
> For running kontact2, you need two databases that are online: virtuoso and
> mysql. Both of them again require runtime memory. Are there plans to merge
> them?

We have investigated the use of Virtuoso as an Akonadi backend but found it to
be too different in its SQL dialect to be easily usable. It's still a goal
longer term, but requires quite some effort to be done.

regards
Volker