[Kde-pim] Kmail2: Akonadi memory requirements

Stephan Mueller smueller at chronox.de
Thu Sep 9 08:56:09 BST 2010

Hi all,

I recently switched to Kontact2 beta1 for my daily work. I would like to
report some experiences that I made so far. I am using Ubuntu Maverick and the
Kontact2 out of the Ubuntu experimental tree.

I know that the following email looks like bashing, but that is not my
intention. I like kontact very much and I would like to keep it that way -
thanks to all for the effort to develop kontact!

There are the following main problems that I identified so far, which relate
to the memory requirements of Akonadi:

- storage space of the akonadi database

- memory (i.e. RAM) space of the akonadi mysql database

- use of two databases

Storage space of akonadi
========================

I probably have 3000+ emails in my spool where some of them are sizeable 10+
MB. I was a bit irritated when I looked at the size of the mysql database
files: more than 800 MB!

I started to dig into the database by using the akonadiconsole tool. I saw
that the ENTIRE mail bodies are stored there! I am really unsure why there is
a need to really duplicate the email storage: once in the maildir folders and
once in mysql.

I think a lot of people will be deterred by that.

Moreover, I do not see any way to configure akonadi to only store the
header/envelope information because that is what would need when I do
searches. Note: when I would search for entire emails, I am fine when I would
wait a minute instead of 10 seconds, if I do not need to carry a database of
800+ MB around.

Another issue is that it seems this database only grows and never shrinks.
I.e. when I delete an email (i.e. remove it from trash or delete it without
moving it to trash), the database does not get smaller.

Memory space of akonadi
=======================

Due to the massive mysql database, the mysql process also sucks in massive
memory. I have a T61 with 2GB of RAM. When I receive an email that is 1 MB or
larger and there is no other program running (except the KDE environment), my
system starts swapping!! And it becomes unresponsive for quite a while due to
swapping.

Looking at ps, the problem is the mysql database process which is just
massive.

Also, I thought that using akonadi makes opening folders fast. But when I open
a folder with 100+ emails for the first time (i.e. after starting kmail), it
takes 10 seconds or more with constant disk access (ps shows me that the mysql
process is the problem). With the old kmail, such folders opened in an
instant.

Use of 2 databases

For running kontact2, you need two databases that are online: virtuoso and
mysql. Both of them again require runtime memory. Are there plans to merge
them?

Thanks
Stephan

--