[Kde-pim] Showstoppers in KMail

Tobias König tokoe at kde.org
Sun Sep 26 10:34:01 BST 2010

Hej,

since the plan is to release KDE-PIM 4.5 still this year and KMail is the most
critical component, I'd like to give a list of bugs that are critical
showstoppers IMHO and should be fixed before:

1) Performance: KMail/Akonadi/Virtuoso 4.5 is really slow for my
pop3+localmaildir setup here. When I use only one CPU, one can see the single
updates of messages in KMail and listing folders take several seconds.
	Steps to take:
		- backport performance patches from trunk to 4.5 if stable enough
		- investigate if there is unnecessary communication between kmail and
		  virtuoso (i think so, because when listing a folder, the load of
		  virtuoso increases)
		- investigate memory consumption and performance of local maildir
		  resource
		- investigate why local mail filtering is slow

2) Unread Information: The unread information get out-of-sync quite often
here, so that folders with new mails have no blue number after the folder name
or after reading a mail, the mail is not marked as read. Only a restart of
KMail fixes this.
	Steps to take:
		- check whether this is a bug in ETM or the server

3) New messages notifications: The notification about new messages is broken
when using local filtering. It happens that it reports e.g. '3 new messages in
inbox' even 40 or more messages have been downloaded. But the notification is
sent after the filtering is done, so it misses some new messages.
	Steps to take:
		- Let the resources send the notification instead of kmail?

These are the major issues I have with kmail2 in daily use. Does anyone else
have other critical bugs?

Could we have a sprint where we address these issues to make it ready for a
final release?

Ciao,
Tobias