[Kde-pim] KMail takes ages to load mails

Stephan Mueller smueller at chronox.de
Thu Sep 9 14:27:52 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 9. September 2010, 14:26:33 schrieb Milian Wolff:

Hi Milian,
> On Thursday, 9. September 2010 09:25:42 Maciek Zarzycki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just migrated to Kontact 4.4.93 and I've noticed that KMail takes
> > ages to load emails from disk every time it is restarted. I'm talking
> > about few minutes for a folder with 1000+ emails and not much less for
> > folders containig ~100 emails. Also mysqld is eating up about 50% of
> > cpu (100% of one core on a core 2 duo machine) during loading.
> >
> > The emails are stored in a maildir resource so loading should be
> > instantenious. At least it was in the old KMail.
> >
> > I will be happy to provide any info you need and do a bit of debugging
> > if
> > you give me instructions :).
> >
> > Btw, should I create a ticket on bugs.kde.org for this?
>
> Hey Maciek,
>
> I tried to improve that situation a few months ago and hope to spent some
> more time on it in future. A proper bug report would of course be welcome.
>
> @ Others: Has anyone else spent time on performance while I was gone from
> PIM development? Didn't Tokoe do a few things here and there?

I have seen the following problem: after starting kmail, it slows down for a
long time (reason see below) with large amounts of disk accesses. If you wait
until the disk quiets down, kmail should work properly - can you please check?

Reason for disk accesses: kmail rebuilds the indices again after each start
(not sure why).

Ciao
Stephan

> Bye