[Kde-pim] Re: New Email notifications

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Oct 24 00:30:08 BST 2010

On Monday 11 October 2010, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Replying a bit late, thanks to private life. :)

Ditto. :-)

> On Thursday, September 30, 2010 16:59:26 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 September 2010 21:49:49 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
[snip]
> Now if KMail did notifications by itself, it would bring another
> instance that does notifications (using KNotify), which would have
> to be synched with Lion Mail's behaviour.
>
> In my opinion, KMail should provide a legacy mechanism to notify of
> new emails when it's run outside of Plasma,

IMHO this makes no sense. The new mail notification functionality should
be removed from KMail. There are a bazillion biffs out there for all
kinds of different desktop and non-desktop environments. If somebody
running KMail outside of Plasma wants a new mail notification mechanism
then he should install one of those biffs.

> but run inside of
> Plasma, the user should kindly be pointed to the email notifier
> widget in the system tray.

The user doesn't want to be pointed to something, kindly or otherwise.
He doesn't want to do anything. And he's right. He shouldn't have to do
anything. Lion Mail should automatically work in combination with KMail
(and vice versa).

> Missing features should also be implemented in Lion Mail.

They should only be implemented in Lion Mail. ;-)

> > > I fully agree, but until this central instance exists KMail
> > > should still do it. Just as KMail will still do the filtering
> > > until there's an Akonadi agent doing it.
> >
> > To me KMail is now the "Mail" component of "Kontact".
> > Technically there is the akonadi (backend), but it has part of the
> > old KMail  functionality. The new frontend is not usable without
> > the backend. I admit I have not yet tried alternative mail
> > frontends. ;)
>
> I want so see wether I have new emails even when KMail is not
> running. Those two are orthogonal.

Yes, they are orthogonal. But it should be transparent to the user that
they are two different things.

Regards,
Ingo