[Kde-pim] Re: branding "Kontact"

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Thu Nov 11 13:21:42 GMT 2010

On Thu, November 11, 2010 8:29 am, Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2010 22:20:50 Ingo Klöcker wrote:

>> > I too strongly dislike the HD suffix. It's way more buzz then
>> > "office" or "studio".
>> >
>> > Having said that I give my ++ to plain old "Kontact".
>>
>> I second what was said by Cornelius, Till, Kevin and Torgny:
>> - Kontact Touch is a good suggestion.
>
> 'Touch' says 'ipod' to me, and when combined with 'Kontact' gives a clumsy
> repetition of metaphors, because Kontact is already a pun on the word
> 'contact' which also can mean a touch.
>
> Why do you need a sub-brand for the mobile variant?  Isn't 'Kontact'
> strong enough to work on more than one format?

I agree with the others that Kontact HD is bad - it's likely to give a
misleading idea, or just come across as meaningless.

I did like Kontact Touch, but Will's comments make me wonder whether
because we're all so familiar with the name Kontact, we don't see the name
as others might see it. For people who know little or nothing about
Kontact, they probably _would_ think that Touch is just a (rather odd)
repetition of Kontact.

It's another example of the need for a little bit of user research among
general computer users rather than just devs and afficionados.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.