[Kde-pim] Re: KDE PIM and mobile device sync

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Nov 8 11:40:10 GMT 2010

On Monday 08 November 2010 10.04:42 Dotan Cohen wrote:

[two way sync KDE specific fields <> "Notes" field]

> When syncing back, Kaddressbook could parse the Notes field from the
> last line upwards until it reaches a line that does not contain the
> substring ": ", and of those lines would check each value pair for a
> corresponding custom field. Of course, easier said than coded and I'm
> not a C++ coder!

The coding is not the problem, that's just a finger exercise.

The problem is:
 * reliably get 2 way sync.  Possibly with multiline fields and other funny
things
 * don't ever mangle a notes field if a user uses his own "title: note"
formatting in the notes field and it happens to clash with a existing
special field.  So: some tagging with an "unlikely" character sequence would
probably be necessary.
 * Do the above and still keep the "Notes" field usable (short and readable)
on mobile devices with small screens etc.

My personal conclusion: can't be done in a satisfactory way.  Perhaps as an
optional configuration option, but I doubt it's worth it.

(and: first get the basics working :-)

cheers
-- vbi

--