[Kde-pim] Re: KDE PIM and mobile device sync

Dinesh saidinesh5 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 08:09:10 GMT 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 00:30, Dinesh <saidinesh5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Adrian,
> >
> > The Good News is, During this GSoC, the SyncEvolution's(it's the tool)
> > akonadi(Its what KDE PIM uses behind the scence) backend is fixed. And a
> bit
> > of work is done on KWallet and Bluedevil(so when you pair your bluetooth
> > device, it directly gets configured) integration.
> >
> > The Bad News is, its just a command line tool as of now. So it is NOT at
> all
> > newbie friendly. (A bit of a nightmare to setup).
> >  We are working on a GUI (right now as we speak) to make everything "Just
> > work", and will probably get it done this December (Immediately after my
> > exams, I promise :) ).
> >
> > You can find more info on :
> > http://saidinesh5.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/are-we-there-yet/<
> http://saidinesh5.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/are-we-there-yet/#comments>
> >
> > Incase you are interested to use it and get stuck at any point compiling,
> > you can ping me on saidinesh5 on akonadi-syncml on IRC.
> >

> I recently abandoned Korganizer and Kaddressbook due to lack of sync
> with mobile phones. I am still interested, though, and would gladly
> test and triage what I can. My KDEPIM is no longer a critical
> component for me, so I can test and break at will!

I currently have a Nokia N86, which is a Symbian phone that is listed
> by Funambol as supporting SyncML. Please clarify: is your intention is
> to have this device sync calendar and contacts with KDEPIM? If so,
> I'll be helping!

Great!  Yes , Currently with Syncevolution you can sync your N86's Calendar,
Contacts and Notes with KDE PIM(Only via. Bluetooth / with some additional
work ,via. Wifi though). You can use the Nokia S60 template of syncevolution
for that.

You can get the information about the program over here:
http://saidinesh5.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/are-we-there-yet/

I have my end semester exams in 2 weeks, so i had to put a pause to
syncevolution. Apart from the GUI, as of now : there are 2 little things i
need to fix in syncevolution command line tool:

1)Adding support for KDE-Specific extensions: currently, the KDE specific
fields(Spouse, Blog ,etc...) wont sync. with anything else. they simply will
be wiped clean. This has to change.

2)Run Automated Tests.

Cheers,
Dinesh

P.S @afiestas : The Bluedevil Plugin for Syncevolution was the First thing I
wrote and writing it was a Amazingly Fast and Fun. Thanks :D

Thanks.