[Kde-pim] Re: Frequent crashes in EntityTreeModel and other library models

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 08:05:54 GMT 2010

David Jarvie wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I attach two example calendars which caused startup crashes. I configured
> a single Active Alarms calendar as the file /tmp/x.ics. The only other
> calendar configured was an Archived Alarms calendar, /tmp/arch.ics, which
> was empty. I've attached the KAlarm config file just in case it matters
> (although the collection IDs in it would need changing).
>
> Attachment x1.ics: crashed multiple times in succession on startup before
> finally starting successfully. I started KAlarm after the "daily" alarm
> was due, but before the "display" alarm was due. On one occasion I ran
> KAlarm under gdb, but the crash trace was useless. In no case did I get a
> crash dialog.
>
> Attachment x2.ics: also crashes most times on startup, again without a
> crash dialog. This is actually the updated x1.ics calendar after the
> "daily" alarm triggers. Both alarms were due the next day when KAlarm
> started. Again, running under gdb the crash trace was useless.
>
> If KAlarm is built in debug mode (as I'm sure it will be), you may find
> the --test-set-time command line option useful to fake the system time. To
> replicate what I did (after setting up the Akonadi calendars), start
> KAlarm as follows:
>
> kalarm --test-set-time "2010-11-22-22:45 UTC"
>
> Thanks,
> David.

It crashes on start up for me without my Qt patch. After patching it does
not crash on start. Without the patch it should crash every time. There's an
assert that gets hit.

I presume you don't build your own Qt, your Qt is in release mode, and
asserts are compiled out, and you're getting a segfault somewhere else later
(sometimes).

Anywhere you have reimplemented filterAcceptsColumn, comment out the
implementation and return true (if that doesn't have any serious side-
effects). Then see if you get any crashes anywhere else in the app.

All the best,

Steve.