[Kde-pim] [kde-promo] Akonadi questionez

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sun May 23 13:24:50 BST 2010

2010/5/22 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> On Saturday 22 May 2010, Justin Kirby wrote:
>> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
> wrote:
>> > Hi Jos,
>> >
>> > Unfortunately this is mostly something at developer level right now
>> > as far as
>> > improvements go.
>> > A bit like in early Plasma days when people would complain about
>> > things not working as expected and mainly developers-only
>> > knowledge about what will be possible due to all the new
>> > infrastructure thats in place now.
>>
>> This might be a dangerous thing to ask but I'd like to play devil's
>> advocate for a second.

I don't think you'd look good in a suit next to a red guy with horns,
but it's still +1 ;-)

>> If that is really true why are we fighting
>> the idea of users not wanting it running by default?  If they're not
>> a developer and there's no real end user benefit yet couldn't we
>> instead focus on having distros make proper changes to leave it out
>> by default until that situation changes?
>
> That's exactly what we are doing for the upcoming KDE SC 4.5. kdepim
> will not be part of SC 4.5. Instead distros are asked to ship kdepim 4.4
> together with SC 4.5.

Aaah, yes, but it'll come with 4.5.1, right? Should we communicate to
distributions not to ship that? But won't it be better than the Kmail
and Akonadi things in 4.4?

What exactly is the idea here? I understood this was mostly meant to
let it mature a bit more, not to bring end user advantages in before
releasing it... IOW unless we tell distro's not to ship it until PIM
4.6, this doesn't change much.