[Kde-pim] Akonadi questionez

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:24:28 BST 2010

Hi fellow gearheads,

The marketing team asks for your help in communicating Akonadi.

You might all be aware of the questions often seen on mailinglists,
like "what the heck does this resource hog do here" and similar
insults. Basically, the users are asking:

1. what does it bring me NOW

2. what problems does it solve?

3. what will it bring me in the future?

Of course these questions are asked in a rather more unfriendly way
than portrayed here, but such is life.

Meanwhile, the promo team is struggling with this. We know *part* of
the answer, but still would like to solicit input from those great
minds which came up with it in the first place!

We don't need an essay, just a simple usecase, a few lines - should do
the trick. Even if it's a small thing, if it's not great and
visionary, or from someone who only hangs on this list because you
like to be as cool as the other dudes here - any input is welcome!
Please don't spend valuable hacking time on this, I know time is
tight, just jot down notes and we'll make it work.

A second request I have is about the upcoming release. I've noticed
KMail will be delayed. We need to communicate this clearly, and
preferably sooner rather than later. So at some point, we need to know
the why/what/when/how. I know it's not decided upon, but even a rather
short "we're thinking about this and this, this is why ..." would be
helpful. Again, we don't need a full blog, jotting down notes is
plenty.

Moreover, I think it would be a good idea to extend the information to
a call for help. So do you want help and if so what kind of help
(testing, documentation writing or other relatively simple jobs, are
there programming jobs to be done etc) do you want.

Love,

Jos