[Kde-pim] Kontact Summary Page Hanging - more info - still more

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu May 13 14:23:50 BST 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010 11:11:38 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 06:37:08 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > I have had an issue since 4.4.2 where switching to the Summary page
> > > appeared to cause Kontact to hang but upon further investigation its
> > > seems the problem is nepomuk.
> > >
> > > I ran top while doing the switch and observed neopmuk, virtuoso and
> > > dbus- daemon consume nearly 100% CPU between them, this lasts approx
> > > a minute before they drop to normal and the switch completes.
> > >
> > > Switching back to another kontact tab (kmail etc) does not consume
> > > any cpu or block.
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure it used to be worse - kontact would block
> > > indefinitely which is why I presumed it was hanging as opposed to
> > > being really slow :)
> > >
> > > My summary view has all the plug-ins activated.
> >
> > This problem has been discussed recently on the kdepim-users mailing
> > lists. The reporter has identified the plugin that is responsible for
> > the problem: the Special Dates plugin.
>
> It does appear to be the special dates plugin after all. I noticed that
> deleting kontact_summaryrc didn't disable any of the plugins - I presume
> when its not there they are all activated by default, so I went into the
> Settings| Kontact|Summary page and deactived them, then reactivated one by
> one.
>
> Turns out all of them except "special dates" are fine, special dates by
> itself will cause the issue.

Following your lead, I disabled everything except the korganizerplugin and
kontact started correctly.  I then enabled them one at a time, leaving
summaryplugin until last (keeping the specialdates = false).  Each time it
started correctly.  Then I set the ForcedStartupPlugin to
kontact_summaryplugin - and it wouldn't start.

It looks as though there is something it doesn't like there, as well as the
specialdates plugin.  I now have the forced starteup set to the korganizer
plugin, and it appears to be fine.

So - it looks as though there could be two bugs - one concerning the
specialdates plugin, and one concerning starting in summary mode.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group