[Kde-pim] Mail migration status

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon May 24 21:30:02 BST 2010

Hi Thomas,

On Monday, 2010-05-24, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Friday 21 May 2010 20:02:48 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > the migrator currently show a warning that the following things won't be
> >
> > handled:
> >     "<li>Locally cached IMAP data (will be re-downloaded), pending IMAP
> >
> > changes (synchronize with KMail 1 first)</li>"
> >
> > done
> >
> >     "<li>Flags and tags on local mail folders</li>"
> >
> > done
> >
> >     "<li>Folder settings</li>"
> >
> > no idea what this includes. Anyone?
>
> Basically the stuff that can be set in the folder properties dialog.

According to Laurent's explanation this is as simple as replacing the path
with the respective collection Id?

> >     "<li>Filter sources and destinations</li>"
> >
> > I think Volker ported filtering at the Akonadi sprint, right?
>
> As Laurent said, the config probably still needs to be migrated. I don't
> want to reconfigure my >150 filters :)

Right.
Same as above? I.e. replace path with collection Id?

> I did not not test migration for myself yet, I had little time for KDE
> lately. Once a few people have tested the migration with (a copy of) their
> real data, I think we can remove the migration warning dialog.
> Did anyone else test this yet?

I haven't had time to test POP3 yet and I only tested DIMAP with my
demo.kolab.org account.
Local KMail dir was tested with a copy of most of my actual dir, including
MBoxes.

I do have a general question on config migration: what about using kmail2rc
(maybe even call the executable kmail2)?
There are probably setttings in kmailrc that do no longer make sense, the
migrator could (assuming we can get a mapping of settings) just migrate those
which still do.

Has the nice side effect of making the same setup still usable with KMail1 in
fallback scenarios.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring