[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Needs More TIme

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 15 20:19:49 BST 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:25:30 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > This won't work. There won't be a way back once the data and the
> > configuration has been migrated and the ATP has been used
> > (producing new data). In KDE PIM (and, AFAIK, also in the rest of
> > KDE) we never took precautions allowing to go back. Consequently,
> > we have never promised that it's possible to go back to an earlier
> > version of an application.
>
> Could the ATP store its data in a different location? Import 4.4 data
> but leave it untouched.

Doesn't really make sense. One advantage of using the _same_ location is
that newly arrived messages will also be visible to 4.4 (if you go
back). All you will lose is some meta data (e.g. the state of the
messages). Another advantage of limiting the migration to the meta data
(e.g. the information in KMail's index files) is that there is less
potential for migration errors.

In any case, you worry too much. Akonadi will not eat your data. The
worst that could happen is that the migration fails and that Akonadi
will not see all of your old data. In that case, you can simply go back
to 4.4 and wait for the next version of the ATP.

Regards,
Ingo