[Kde-pim] KDE Addressbook on an Appliance

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Wed May 5 16:15:33 BST 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 01:33:02 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2010 21:31:22 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > There's a good deal of confusion around, about this.  On this
> > > laptop, for instance, it was brand-new, therefore a clean
> > > install.  When I started kontact, it carried out first-run.
> > > At that point I had no addressbok set up - so I ended up
> > > with an empty
> > > ~/.local/share/contacts.  At that point I'm left guessing.
> > > And I might say, that I've seen other users perplexed at the
> > > same point.
> >
> > Guessing? Guessing what?
>
> What to do next.  They know this is something new.  New things
> are often fragile.  There is a natural fear of doing something
> that may interfere with the proper working of the new system.
>
> > > In fact I copied my std.vcf from the old laptop, set it as an
> > > addressbook, then simply copied all the entries into Personal
> > > Contacts.  As far as I can tell there were no ill effects.
> > > But users shouldn't be left guessing like this.
> >
> > I'm not sure where you are getting at. What are you trying to
> > tell us? What should we do differently/better?
>
> There needs to be some easily understood documentation to give
> the simplest possible setup.  At the moment, a clean install
> leaves you with an empty addressbook, and no documented way of
> filling it, other than entering each record by hand.
>
> If you do it the way I did, you have two addressbooks, and then
> have to go through the process of marking one of them as
> default.  Anyone who tries to remove the std.vcf after simply
> copying across the entries is likely to find that he can't,
> because it could well be being seen as the default.  Of course
> it's all editable, but it's a hassle that should be avoided.
>
> IMO what would really help is if the first run could register
> whether it found any records to migrate.  If it didn't, it
> should re-run at the next boot - and each time until it actually
> finds records.  That would allow for users to panic and close
> the addressbook because it's empty, realise that the old one has
> to be made available, fix that, and still have an automatic
> migration.
>
> Of course it's easy to tell others what to do :-)  I would have
> thought that just setting a flag might accomplish this, but if
> it's not so easy, I apologise.  I'm simply reflecting the
> problems that some users have reported.
>
> Anne
I have to agree with you, this new product is impossible to figure
out from the documentation. I installed KDE 4.4.2 on my openSUSE
11.2 system. Imported my old std.vcf file and then built a personal
addressbook consisting of 6 sub addressbooks. After much searching I
found a information on the Kmail Wiki that nepomuk must be running
to update the mail lists on Kmail. I also found a thread on the KDE
Forum about this and after much head scratching and hair pulling was
able to get nepomuk working but I still get mysql.err errors. I
think it has to do with the user I'm running as needing to log into
mysql?

100505  7:35:58 [Note] Plugin 'ndbcluster' is disabled.
100505  7:35:58  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 32234540
100505  7:35:59 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table
'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without
them
100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.db
100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.user
100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.event
100505  7:35:59 [ERROR] Event Scheduler: An error occurred when
initializing system tables.
100505  7:35:59 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.1.36-log'  socket:
'/home/finemanruss/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket'  port:
0  SUSE MySQL RPM

akonadi console shows Nepomuk Contact Feeder OnLine, Idle

My real problem now is getting a distribution list running for a
news letter that supposed to go out May 20th. There are four group
this newsletter must go and up to 100 users in one of the groups.
Only way i can do it to a certain point is list each person it is
suppoed to go to in a new Kmail message (Kmail composer) and then
select Tools----> Save distribution list. It does save it and if I
use Select Distribution list, it does put it in the To: field.
Displaying the list contents shows the correct people it is to go
to, but the ISP sends back a failure message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail2.nwi.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

<family1a at linux-ebgz>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named linux-ebgz. (#5.1.2)

Note the @linux-edgz addrs to distribution list name. Never looks at
actual people it should go to.

Did find a statement the contact groups won't work until version
4.4.5 or later. How are we supposed to use this product (Thunderbird
wants an LDAP server which my ISP does not support.

Have you or anyone else ran into this? I know you've been involved
in this from your emails to the list, thought you may have some
ideas.

Thanks for all your work.