[Kde-pim] Kontact Summary Page Hanging - more info

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu May 13 16:14:36 BST 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > "Path '/kontact/MainWindow_1/com.trolltech.Qt.QWidget' is not a
> > > valid path name."

> > > Never used that before, and not sure what I'm looking for, but
> > > filtering on kontact gives me
> > >
> > > org.kde.kontact
> >
> > You can simply navigate to
> > /kontact/MainWindow_1/com.trolltech.Qt.QWidget and then click on
> > "Method: show" to call this method.
>
> Interesting.  That opened Kontact in Akregator - possibly that was
> the module open when I closed kontact.  However, the busy icon was
> non-stop even though the progress bar says 100%, and I can't either
> change module or see anything in the main window.

Hmm. Try disabling the Kontact components one by one.

> > > Connected to D-Bus.
> > >
> > > Just one thing that I have noticed, and I don't know whether it's
> > > significant or not.  When I've tried to launch Kontact I have to
> > > kill it - and I use System Activity Monitor for that.  Killing
> > > Kontact leaves many kio-files behind.  Killing one (sometimes
> > > two) takes most of the others with it, but there is always one
> > > left behind.  It appears to be related to the launcher. If more
> > > information can be gathered from that, please tell me what to
> > > check for, since the monitor does show quite a bit of
> > > information about the processes.
> >
> > KIO slaves quit automatically after a certain timeout. There's no
> > point in killing them manually.
>
> OK
>
> > Maybe starting Kontact with strace or ltrace, i.e.
> >
> >   strace kontact --nofork
>
> I tried to capture the output of that, but without success.  When it
> gets to the stage where it falters I see messages containing
>
> = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
>
> several times.  I'll try to leave it until it completes or shuts
> down, then try the ltrace command.  After an hour or so I killed it.

Try
  strace kmail --nofork > ~/kmail.strace 2>&1
to capture the output in ~/kmail.strace.

If I understand correctly then Kontact does launch, but its window is
not shown. It just sits in the background and does nothing. Correct?

> > or
> >
> >   ltrace kontact --nofork
> >
> > will show something useful.
>
> Again, I couldn't capture the output, but it ended with

[snip]
> _ZN7QObject13connectNotifyEPKc(0xa1656f8, 0x9de22b8, 0x98b5c58, 8, 0)
> = 0x3fc8c08
> +++ killed by SIGTRAP +++

Hmm. Not that helpful.

Regards,