[Kde-pim] [SORT-OF-SOLVED] Re: More breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Raj Mathur ( राज =?utf-8?b?IOCkruCkvuCkpeClgeCksA==?=) raju at linux-delhi.org
Tue May 25 09:08:02 BST 2010

Hi Tobias,

On Tuesday 25 May 2010, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:10:12AM +0530, Raj Mathur (?????????
> ???????????????) wrote:
> > 3 (new address books popping up) is still unclear -- don't know
> > whether it's solved or not.  Last time I checked Akonadi still
> > seemed to be adding new sources whenever it got bored.
>
> No idea about this one, never saw this before... Could it be that
> some migration tool is running on every startup for you, which tries
> to migrate your old resources?

Yes it does.  Some Resource Migrator pops up whenever I start
kaddressbook or kmail, gives some "Unable to migrate to compatibility
bridge" or similar messages and then vanishes after a while.  No clue
where this is coming from.  Can give you exact messages if you like.

> > 4 (kbbdb) is not yet solved since the qdbus interface to
> > kaddressbook seems to have changed.  Anyone got an idea how to (a)
> > determine which interface should be used and (b) how to send a new
> > VCard to kaddressbook?
>
> Using DBus interfaces to handle contacts is obsolete, you should use
> the native C++ classes for this, e.g.
>   Akonadi::CollectionDialog - asking the user for a collection to
> store the new item (contact) to Akonadi::ItemCreateJob - to store
> the item
>   Akonadi::ContactEditorDialog - to let the user create or edit a
> contact

Isn't there a scripting interface to add contacts to kaddressbook
anymore?  If not, it would be an immense pity, since (for a start) I'd
have to recode kbbdb in C++ (from it's current Perl avatar), which would
be a new project altogether.  I could be wrong, but I was under the
impression that KDE had a policy about making all interfaces scriptable;
has that changed?

> > Kaddressbook interfaces seem to change more often than my
> > undergarments
>
> Hmm? These interfaces existed from KDE 3.X till KDE 4.4, that are
> several releases and many years...

In KDE 3 the command to add a an address to kaddressbook was:

  dcop kaddressbook KAddressBookIface importVCard

In KDE 4 up to 4.4.3 the command was:

  qdbus org.kde.kaddressbook /KAddressBook \
    org.kde.KAddressbook.Core.importVCard

In 4.4.3 I have no clue what the command is, but it definitely has
changed:

  raju at mail:~$ qdbus org.kde.kaddressbook /KAddressBook
  Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject
  No such object path '/KAddressBook'

Regards,

-- Raj
--