[Kde-pim] New release of KBBDB

Raj Mathur ( राज =?utf-8?b?IOCkruCkvuCkpeClgeCksA==?=) raju at linux-delhi.org
Sat May 29 03:33:59 BST 2010

On Saturday 29 May 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 28 May 2010, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
> > On Friday 28 May 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > On Friday 28 May 2010 14:52:32 Raj Mathur (राज  माथुर) wrote:
> > > There is no easy fix for this, my plan was actually to disable
> > > the "is not in addressbook" fitler :(
> >
> > That would be a great pity.  I need the ability to update the
> > addressbook from addresses in received mails (apart from Emacs, any
> > web- based mail service has this).  If there is no reasonable
> > workaround I'd have to abandon KMail in favour of a client that
> > lets me scrape addresses from incoming mails... perhaps back to
> > Emacs/GNUS.
>
> You could work around this problem in KBBDB by filtering every
> message through KBBDB and then checking in KBBDB if the sender's
> address is already in the address book.

Hypothetically, yes.  However that would mean adding another layer of
KDE functionality to KBBDB, and as I noted earlier the moving target and
lack of scriptability (please note: scriptability != programmability) of
KDE as it evolves makes that an unsavoury task.

KBBDB was meant to be a simple little script, and with KDE 3.x it was.
Then I had to add functionality to check the KDE version.  Then I had to
add 3 different interfaces for adding a contact to the address book.  At
the moment I'm not at all keen on making it a full-fledged application
that binds closely with KDE using a compat library.

I've been using KDE since 1.x circa 1994 or so (you had no option but to
spend 3 hours compiling from source on your sucky 486 then), and I'm
sorry to say that I've never had as many problems with it as with 4.x,
and those problems are continuing.  Given the option I'd downgrade to
3.x without a second thought.  Unfortunately distro makers don't offer
that option anymore.

Regards,

-- Raj
--