[Kde-pim] Akonadi Meeting: exception request. / Porting Status?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon May 10 11:11:25 BST 2010

Hi PIMsters,

On Sunday 09 May 2010 17:26:55 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2010 10:28:35 am toma wrote:
> > Akonadi will have a meeting from may 13th to may 16th. During this
> > meeting we will hack at some small features. As kdepim is undergoing
> > major changes due to the conversion to the Akonadi pillar, it is
> > difficult to implement no new features during such a meeting.
> >
> > More importantly there will be an API review of new API introduced in the
> > KDE 4.5 development cycle. This usually means tons of little changes,
> > such as renames and additional consts, etc.
> >
> > I hereby ask an exception from the soft API freeze and Feature Freeze
> > during this meeting. In practise, that means we might slip in one or two
> > features and we won't mail the kde-bindings people on API changes for
> > kdepimlibs and kdepim.
> >
> > I hope this is ok.

Please still notify the bindings teams of those changes. Exception doesn't mean that
no communication is needed, but that "unexpected API changes might show up". In the
release-team, regular trouble is API changes that aren't yet reflected in bindings
(hence the API freeze in our current schedule), so we shouldn't void that by not even
notifying people who need to get into action for a release that builds.

> This request has been here for several weeks without objection.
> Let's assume this request has been granted.

I'd be very interested in the KMail porting status as of now. As we're roughly around
feature freeze, I'd expect the KMail Akonadi port to be finished by now. Also, in the
case of an email client, we might need more testing to not harm our user base.

I didn't find the KAddressbook migration in 4.3 to be smooth at all (loss of
features, hangs in KMail, no migration of my existing data). I've yet to see one
machine where it was transparant to the users, and judging by the PIM list, the
issues are on the radar of the PIM team. If that experience is anything to go by for
4.5 and the KMail migration, I'm very concerned (of my own data and setup time, but
also for many of our users who are less patient than I am in this regard). I think we
need to apply special care and QA here to not burn many of our users. Can you soothen
my concerns?

When would be a good moment to start testing KDE PIM 4.5? I've svn switched those
modules to the 4.4 version until further notice when you guys began porting, but
haven't seen any meaningful communication about stability and progress of this
critical KDE SC component.

Thanks,
--
sebas