[Kde-pim] GSoC: Easy Import and Export of all PIM data in Kontact

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Mar 26 07:15:36 GMT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 25. März 2010 12:52:14 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > I took a brief look at Kamion but it seems like it got abandoned before
> > it reached any usable state (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> No, I think you are right.
> As far as I remember it had something to do with not getting enough
> information about individual apps' backup needs (which files, etc).
> Since it has stalled again after a GSOC as an attempt to revive it, it is
> highly unlikely that it will get another GSOC slot again.

What one could learn from it though is that whatever tool is created that aims
at importing/exporting all kinds of data should allow the user to easily get
(import/export) backup-recipes from e.g. kde-apps.org and not rely on the
maintainers of the to be backed-up/exported/imported applications.

The recipes would contain the config variables that need to be extracted from
the apps' config files in order to find e.g. the folder that kmail stores its
data in, which can be whatever the user wishes. It would also contain the
"conversion" rules that might be needed for importing data from another app.
This way the user does not need to know where the data is stored or where to
get the recipes but just uses the "get hot new stuff" framwork to search for
the application he wants to back-up, install/update the recipe, ticks/unticks
the types of data he wants to back-up, e.g. mail and addressbook while
excluding the calendar for kmail and is ready to go.

If such a mechanism is in place the backup-tool could easily be used not only
for PIM but all other apps as well and using recipes for importing/exporting
would allow to profit from the community and save time for the maintainer of
the backup-tool.

An nice feature on top of the basic functionality might also be to allow the
user to import/export data he tagged via nepomuk, i.e. create a back-up of all
things tagged as "backup".

Sven