[Kde-pim] GSoC: Easy Import and Export of all PIM data in Kontact

Maciek Zarzycki zarzych at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 23:32:41 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010 12:19:29 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> We had a GSOC project for a general userdata backup/restore application
> called Kamion [1] but work on it has stalled.
I took a brief look at Kamion but it seems like it got abandoned before it
reached any usable state (correct me if I'm wrong).

> While Import/Export are to some extend part of a backup situation, they can
> go way beyond that use case, e.g. importing from a foreign storage format,
> maybe including foreign metadata, account settings, etc.
>
> One of the advantages of doing this for PIM is that all data is (will be)
> accessed through the same API, Akonadi, thus allowing to share more code
> between handlers for specific data types.
>
> We have some code for importing (or rather migrating) data and settings
> from legacy KDE PIM storage methods, but a generalization ideally capable
> of importing all data types and related settings from other PIM suites,
> e.g Evolution, would be a really nice addition to our offerings.

This is exactly what I had in mind.  It would be grate to allow consistent
import/export in all KDE PIM applications. Thanks to a plugin architecture we
could start with the import/export framework and few plugins (lets say mail
and calendar) and add other data types later on.

> I would be willing to mentor that.

I would be very happy to work under with you on this task. How about I prepare
a small specification of what I have in mind and send it to you on priv?
Perhaps you could give me some feedback before I start writing the proposal?

Cheers,
Maciek