[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Tue Mar 16 10:00:31 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 09:06:22 Thomas McGuire wrote:

> Sometimes, using the term "Akonadi" can not entirely be avoided, and I'm
> unsure what to do about it. For example, when KMail can not work because
> Akonadi is not running, we have to tell the user in some way, like "The
> Akonadi PIM framework is not running, bla bla.".
> Another example: The mail import tool (still wrongly called KMailCVT) can
> import mails into Akonadi, the mails can not just be used by KMail, but
>  also by other applications. Currently the introduction page there says
>  "This program will help you import your email [..] into Akonadi". Any
>  suggestion how to improve that? I'm quite sure normal users don't know
>  what "importing into Akonadi" means, but saying "importing into KMail"
>  would be plain wrong now.

How about just "Import email" without target.
Or "The way KDE stores email has changed. This program will help you to import
[or: migrate to] your existing email into the new system (Akonadi)." That way
primarily more descriptive terms are used, but the technology name is
mentioned nevertheless for those who relate to it.

Frank